The news is official as we are waiting for the next Sailfish OS update which was planned for this month but apparently it is postponed to the next month for a good reason.
Firstly we were supposed to have 2 updates before Jolla sailors take their summer vacation, but then as we colsed up to the end of May and there were still no updates on our devices, Sailors decided to combine the two promised updates and send them off to our phones in the beginning of June which gives us about 2 weeks of waiting time.
As I quote Soumya Bijjal, Jolla’s software engineer:
Since the last update, we have worked on enhancing our releasing process to optimise development and integration of software. It has paid off and brought update 7 to testing earlier than expected. Weighing the pros vs cons, we have decided to directly release update 7, bringing you even more features and fixes. We believe it is the right decision.
We are currently in release candidate creation phase and expect to deliver the update in early June. While we continue to work on finalizing the update, please see below a glimpse of what you can expect with the combined update 6 and 7. We apologize for the delay and any inconvenience this may cause.
- 4G support for all users (requires 4G SIM card) https://together.jolla.com/question/2135/enable-4g-lte/
- New events view sub-page for displaying Facebook notificationshttps://together.jolla.com/question/590/show-facebook-feed-in-notifications-instead-of-opening-a-browser/
- Folder support in app launcher area https://together.jolla.com/question/291/folder-support-in-app-launcher/
- Google contacts 2-way sync https://together.jolla.com/question/9444/bug-contacts-people-app-does-only-add-to-local-contacts-database/
- Personalise shortcuts on lockscreen pull-down menuhttps://together.jolla.com/question/564/personalization-of-the-pulley-menu-in-lock-screen/
- File picker and real tabs support in browser https://together.jolla.com/question/321/file-picker-needed/https://together.jolla.com/question/373/tab-reloading-browser-settings/
- Support for traditional and simplified Chinese Handwriting Recognition in virtual keyboardhttps://together.jolla.com/question/1504/provide-simplifiedtraditional-chinese-handwriting-input-method/
- Option to clear browser history only https://together.jolla.com/question/8233/browser-how-to-clear-the-browsing-history/
- “Do not track” option under Browser settings
- Clean cookies from browser
- Support for additional Bluetooth profiles: PBAP and HID https://together.jolla.com/question/274/pbap-bluetooth-profile-support-is-requested/
- Enable quick scrolling feature in Sailfish views https://together.jolla.com/question/1154/no-way-to-quickly-navigate-through-a-long-list/
- Quick access to Sailfish OS updates in Settings
- New accounts for popular calDAV providers: Yahoo!, MemoToo, Fruux, ownCould (experimental)https://together.jolla.com/question/534/support-for-caldav-based-calendars-eg-google-calendar/
Happily, a very high demanded feature and a long awaited one in fact, is coming to Sailfish OS. It’s the calDAV feature that almost the entire Sailfish users were waiting for it!
We don’t know about the full list of bug fixes and features, and these are the features that are available at this moment. I don’t think it’s the full list! But let’s see how it goes.
Hope you enjoy my Writing!
Latest posts by Sepehr James Noori (see all)
- Press Release: Jolla Officially Sails in India - July 18, 2014
- Jolla update 8, Tahkalampi; Has been released! - July 15, 2014
- [Tutorial] How to enable LPM Glance Screen on Jolla Phone - July 13, 2014