Welcome to the JollaTides Community Port. Sign up to enjoy live chat and more with other Jolla owners.
New work in progress (will be updated) - TOH with interchangeable camera lenses
  • ratedrated
    237.00 KarmaPosts: 65Crew
    This is a bit of a "to be continued" discussion as this is very much at ground zero of a bit of a project for me.

I've decided to work towards developing my own "Other Half" that allows for interchangeable camera lenses. I've broken the project down into stages:

Stage 1 - test out various lenses and see how they work on an existing TOH

Currently I have three lenses to try out, a wide-turn macro lens, a 2xTelephoto lens and a 180° fish eye lens. All pretty standard phone lenses which can be attached to one of my existing other halves using a stick-on metal ring (they then attach magnetically).

I'm going to be heading out tomorrow during daylight hours to take a few shots with each and see how the Jolla fares with each lens, then likewise on Friday night I'm going to get some club-life shots and see how it does in a dark atmosphere with disco lights etc (I work as a DJ in my spare time so this should be a perfect environment to test things out).

Assuming all goes well then I'll move onto stage 2 which will be to 3D print a specific TOH which allows space for a metallic ring to be fabricated in to save the need for a stick-on. I shall also (hopefully) work towards having a separate flash powered from the Jolla in the other half as the larger lenses do block use of the existing flash since it's so close to the camera.

So in the next few days (assuming it's interesting to people, if not then do tell me to sod off) I'll be uploading a few test photos and I'll continue to document my little project throughout.
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    668.00 KarmaPosts: 526Captain
    Very interested @rated to see how the Jolla camera interacts with the lenses you've chosen - hopefully should yield some pretty tasty pics! :-)
  • matimilkomatimilko
    1.00 KarmaPosts: 1Crew
    Also Me. Very interested.
    I think macro is already good enough on our Jollas ,but Telphoto is what I need!
    Post edited by matimilko at 2014-02-19 06:47:30
  • KayakistKayakist
    34.00 KarmaPosts: 4Crew
    A very cool TOH- project indeed, wouldn't mind having one those myself!
  • ratedrated
    A first few shots (am at work today so just popped outside to take a few quick ones).

All photos are from the same location, same time of day and to the same view.

Standard Jolla Camera with no lens attached:
    image.

2x Zoom lens attached:

Fish Eye Lens:

Thus far quite pleased with the results. The Jolla camera seems to cope very nicely with the extra lenses in front of it (the autofocus works nicely too) and the extra lenses certainly do the trick.

Will be taking more over the next few days and some indoor club shots during the weekend. Will keep uploading and hope it's interesting.

I've decided to expand the project even further and see if I can find a way to modify the Other half to attach a proper zoom lens similar to this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251454517359?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

The potential to add any physical features to the other half (which can include a stand to make it more sturdy - perhaps a more grand version of that on the N900) could certainly make this possible.

Thanks for the kind comments by the way.
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    668.00 KarmaPosts: 526Captain
    @rated

Nice trial pics keep them coming - indeed looks promising and the 2x zoom lens seems to have somehow captured more overall light compared with the 1st shot perhaps because it gets closer to the sky.

I'm envisaging a camera OH with the lens mount as you suggested and perhaps a standard tripod screw mount at the base of the OH would be nice too. ;-)
  • FazFaz
    63.00 KarmaPosts: 37Crew
    Looking good! :)
    I want my physical keyboard and I want it now! =)
  • GrimtechGrimtech
    69.00 KarmaPosts: 36Crew
    @rated
    Very nice idea, the 2x works really well.
    Here's me thinking I was the only Jolla phone in Bristol!

@JollaTides - the tripod screw would also be great idea. I was thinking on the middle of the left side of the phone for placement, for landscape shots.
  • ratedrated
    Low-light (club) tests haven't quite worked out as well as I'd hoped, but that's the nature of phone cameras I guess. A few shots from Friday:

Fish Eye lens:

2x Zoom lens (by far the best performer in dark light):

Unfortunately I misplaced the wide-angle lens (found it magnetically stuck to a pair of headphones at the end of the night) so I've no examples of that in low-light as yet.

I'm going to be ordering one of the telescopic lenses this week and then look into messing with 3D printing to make a TOH custom for this. Might be a while until the next update as this is very much the "learning" time. Much appreciated for the idea regarding a tripod screw. Definitely something to look into.

@Grimtech - We'll probably end up at the same party and one of us will have to go home and change (our other half anyway).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In this Discussion

Tagged

Support Our Community

Your Donations Will Help Keep This Forum Afloat

Spiderpodium Car Phone Holder