Welcome to the JollaTides Community Port. Sign up to enjoy live chat and more with other Jolla owners.
Intermittent Shutdown/Reboot Issues: SOLUTION
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    668.00 KarmaPosts: 526Captain
    After almost 6 months constant use I recently started getting problems with my Jolla handset doing either of the following:

1/ Handset would warn of overheating issues and shut down

2/ Handset would randomly shut down

3/ Handset would occasionally enter a boot loop cycle where the only way to stop it was by removing the battery

These problems all seemed to appear at the same time and thus appeared to be related.

After some reading around, I cut some strips of electrical tape to match the depth/width of the Jolla battery and stuck 2-3 strips to the bottom end of the battery.

Since this mod was carried out, I have not had one incident of points 1-3 listed above in over 1 week testing where before the issue(s) occurred on a daily basis for at least 2 weeks prior.

I can therefore only assume that all points 1-3 are interrelated and the cause of the issue(s) was due to the following:

Over time, the battery connector points become less rigid and there becomes more play or wiggle room with the battery pack. This can cause an intermittent connection which causes the phone software to react in a strange way.

By adding the strips of electrical tape, the battery fits very tight and there is thus no room for this issue to occur.

I would suggest that Jolla can easily fix this time-related issue by increasing battery pack length by a very small amount as illustrated by the result of this rather basic modification that seems to have solved the 3 issues I experienced. Or alternatively the issue may be solved by a software patch if indeed the software is reacting strangely to this hardware related point.

Has anyone else experienced this and can confirm or comment either way?
    Post edited by JollaTides at 2014-05-12 13:18:14
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    I have just had a response from Jolla regarding this issue:

Hi,

thank you for your reply.

1/ Handset would previously warn of overheating issues and shut down

We have investigated this internally and we are currently working on a final solution.

2/ Handset would randomly shut down and also occasionally enter a boot loop cycle where the only way to stop it was by removing the battery

These are false alarms and there is a fix for them in the next OS update (update 6)

So according to Jolla the issue appears to be largely software related and we can look forward to some fixes in the very near future - THANKS JOLLA!! :-)
  • andreibechetandreibechet
    321.00 KarmaPosts: 219Deckhand
    I too can confirm that placing something in between the battery and the margin to create a tighter connection solves the random, rather often Shutdowns/Reboots.
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    221.00 KarmaPosts: 157Crew
    hmm, i never had the overheating warning.
    in my Experience the reboot cycle is always caused by a faulty mobile data connection (kinda a driver malfunction)...
    i'm not even close to be a first one
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    Hi guys - well seems it's software related after all so looking forward to the next update/fix from Jolla!

@blitzschlag yeah I read it was network/signal related and could be as I often move between no signal to 1/2 bars. But I rarely turn mobile data on and still experienced the issue so not sure that was the cause for me.
  • patrickpatrick
    9.00 KarmaPosts: 6Crew
    Same here. The reboots seem to be related to signal losses or switching between networks. I use my Jolla on a somewhat "complex" network in Austria (3 which operates a LTE/DC-HSPA+/GSM network which is a combination of its own network and the former Orange network plus national roaming with T-Mobile), so this switching happens quite frequently. Unfortunately my Jolla therefore reboots and asks for the PIN quite often.
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    Just to follow up, since applying the mod mentioned in the original post after almost 2 weeks, I have not had one incident of these issues occurring.

For anyone experiencing the above-mentioned issues, this is a very simple fix and seems to have solved the problems 100%. :-)
  • andreibechetandreibechet
    321.00 KarmaPosts: 219Deckhand
    +1
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    After over a month of use, no reboot/shutdown issues to speak of - this seems to be a 100% solid solution.
This discussion has been closed.
All Discussions

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In this Discussion

Tagged

Support Our Community

Your Donations Will Help Keep This Forum Afloat

Spiderpodium Car Phone Holder