Welcome to the JollaTides Community Port. Sign up to enjoy live chat and more with other Jolla owners.
Android apps running hot since Saapunki update - anyone else notice this ?
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    668.00 KarmaPosts: 526Captain
    Since the last major update (Saapunki), I notice that when I'm playing an android game, or using streaming services like Tunein radio, my phone gets quite hot and the battery seems to discharge much quicker.

I'm not sure if it is because the general ambient temperature is hotter now with summer here or if it is just since the last update.

Has anyone else experienced this ?

I've also experienced for the first time some lagging after the phone has been running for a while. My phone memory is using 8.4gb of the 13.7gb so maybe I need to follow @grimtech suggestion: http://www.jollatides.com/forums/discussion/178/phone-memory-filling-up-and-apps-crashing-solution#Item_3

If anyone else has experienced this or knows of a fix would be good to hear from you. :-)

Post edited by JollaTides at 2014-06-24 12:14:49
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    I've just noticed that there is an "android support" update in the Jolla store version 0.11.5.

I will try and update this now and see if it makes a difference in day-to-day usage.
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    I see there is a topic for this on Together:

https://together.jolla.com/question/46747/1071618-battery-drain-and-heating-up-after-updating/?sort=votes&page=1#sort-top

It seems one person found the Android support update helped:

"I had same issues after the update. Yesterday battery level went from 100% to 4% in 10 hours (without 4G).

I made a backup and restored factory settings. Installed every update. so far battery level has dropped 20% in 6h with same ammount of usage than yesterday.

edit. I installed new update for android-support and battery-level has dropped 4% in last 3h."
  • swiss_m4mpfiswiss_m4mpfi
    3.00 KarmaPosts: 3Crew
    I noticed the same. After updating to current OS my jolla battery doesn't make it for 12 hours sometimes. Before update it lasted 48h and more with same usage time and same apps (mostly mitäkuuluu and android version of spotify and fb). A few times a day it gets very hot and laggy when android apps are open and battery drain is massive during this time. Closing all apps does not help then, only reboot. I also updated android support to current version but this didn't change anything for me unfortunately. I'm also not 100% sure if it has to do with android support or if it happens also while using native apps. Anyone else with same experience? Hope this is "just a bug" and will be fixed with next update, because I was so happy with jolla's battery life before.

Post edited by swiss_m4mpfi at 2014-07-07 23:01:44
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    @swiss_m4mpfi

Yes I agree for me it seems to only be a problem if I run 'resource heavy' android apps... not all android apps only the ones that require constant network refresh or eg. video streaming.

But I must say that since updating the Android support from the Jolla store, things seem better and certainly if I avoid using those specific resource-heavy apps/games it's better still so I suppose that is just typical of some Android-type apps. :-)

Nevertheless, I also hope they can improve this with the next update perhaps looking specifically at the Alien Dalvik runtime.
  • swiss_m4mpfiswiss_m4mpfi
    3.00 KarmaPosts: 3Crew
    On my jolla it's not only with 'resource heavy' apps. If I stop Android service, everything is OK. If I start the service it starts getting hot immediately, even when I do not open any Android app.

• JollaTidesJollaTides
    The latest major Sailfish update 1.0.8.19 Tahkalampi seems to have made a noticeable improvement on this previous issue - great to see! :-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In this Discussion

Tagged

Support Our Community

Your Donations Will Help Keep This Forum Afloat

Spiderpodium Car Phone Holder