Welcome to the JollaTides Community Port. Sign up to enjoy live chat and more with other Jolla owners.
Who's backing TOHKBD?
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    221.00 KarmaPosts: 157Crew
    Or should i ask who is not?

Can't wait to get it :D
    Post edited by JollaTides at 2014-11-21 16:35:38
    i'm not even close to be a first one
  • ratedrated
    237.00 KarmaPosts: 65Crew
    I'm still considering it. As most are aware I'm really not happy with the current text input on the Jolla and based upon the current €100-voucher scheme they're running I am wondering if the shelf life of the first phone is now coming towards an end, with a new phone perhaps in the pipeline.

As such I'm stuck between going in for TOHKBD or not, as were I to do so, only to find a new phone is en-route (which may have a better touchscreen text input method, and potentially wouldn't be compatible with the QWERTY keyboard) I would be most displeased.

Chances are I probably will end up backing it and buying one, but I'm unsure how much longer I can cope with the current on screen text input and a QWERTY isn't ideal for all circumstances either (for example, texting whilst walking).
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    i have the strongest hopes that the eventual Jolla successor will have similar TOH-Capabilities and the same Layout. Everything else would be contradictory to the whole Idea of TOH.
    Even if the Phones Layout would change you would only need a new printed TOH from TOHKBD where you can mount the actual keyboard on.
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    668.00 KarmaPosts: 526Captain
    I'm going to get on the band wagon - it looks too good to miss and when I started the blog I was in search of this form factor (after the late N900).

Suffice to say I have to some extent settled in to the onscreen keyboard input experience, but to free up that screen real estate and generally have a far better typing method - who wouldn't like that? :-)

@rated I doubt a J2 would have a better onscreen keyboard to J1 - they should at the very least be equal.
  • ratedrated
    237.00 KarmaPosts: 65Crew
    As mentioned, I am more than likely going to order a TOHKBD after all, I'm just very frustrated that Jolla still have made no moves towards any kind of Swype-based keyboard after all this time.

If the J2 (when it happens) doesn't have a better onscreen keyboard then in all honesty I won't be buying one. When I take a phone out and I'm working I now leave the Jolla at home and take my old N9, as the Jolla is terrible for SMS on the move.
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    i wouldnt have bought the Jolla in the first Place if i knew beforehand that they swapped the entire Phone literally months before the release. the Jolla as we own it now was not the Phone that was "marketed" in the Pre-Sales Campaign.
    I think i read an interview with marc where he mentioned something like that.

anyway. TBH i'd rather like working and reliable SailfishOS Ports on some of todays Android Flagship Phones than another half cooked mediocre Hardware that could be considered "new" two years ago.
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    @rated fair play, I'm collating the virtual keyboard requests to put up for the vote so we can present it over at "together" for Jolla to action so look out for that in the next few days. Swype would be really nice for sure and is a much requested feature! :-)

@blitzschlag not to sound thick but I can't remember what was different in the original marketing campaign ?

• blitzschlagblitzschlag
    i can't either but there definately is the Interview with Marc where he said that the whole Phone (Electronics) was replaced 6 Months before launch.
    It probably was "just" the Electronics and the Appearance stayed the same.

edit: i just found this. the first Paragraph mentiones the Hardware-Change.
    Post edited by blitzschlag at 2014-11-11 11:15:20
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    668.00 KarmaPosts: 526Captain Accepted Answer
    @Blitzschlag

Yes that was because the original chip manufacturer Jolla were working with (ST ericcson) went bust. AFAIK, that didn't affect the eventual outcome of the hardware though.

Anyway, back on topic, the TOHKBD has hit 200% of it's original target!! :-D
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    its coming along nice :D

Sadly i had the "idea" of asking for latsucase leather screen protection far too late in the production prosess.
    maybe for v2
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    @blitzschlag

At least that's good news they are that far along in the production process! :)
  • JollaTidesJollaTides

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In this Discussion

Tagged

Support Our Community

Your Donations Will Help Keep This Forum Afloat

Spiderpodium Car Phone Holder