Welcome to the JollaTides Community Port. Sign up to enjoy live chat and more with other Jolla owners.
Jolla Tablet: Have You Pledged And What Are Your Dreams ?
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    668.00 KarmaPosts: 526Captain
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jolla-tablet-world-s-first-crowdsourced-tablet

Have you pledged on the Jolla tablet yet and will it be your 1st tablet ?

Or are you hoping to replace an existing android/ipad or other tablet with the J-tablet ?

We're very excited that USA is finally on the map to get some Jolla goodness and a number of other countries that weren't open when the Jolla phone was first released - the global reach has definitely expanded since last year!

But maybe you currently live in a country that hasn't been served by the crowdfunding - let us know!

Do you plan on using it for Linux coding ? Or maybe just a pal for your Jolla phone ? Maybe a media/games centre ? What are your expectations for Sailfish OS 2.0 ?

Not sure how we're going to be able to wait until May 2015 (WANT NOW!!), but drop by and let us know what your hopes and dreams are with Jolla's new slate! :-)
    Post edited by JollaTides at 2014-11-19 18:04:34
  • mariuslinuxmariuslinux
    1.00 KarmaPosts: 1Crew
    I want to write code on the tablet (Qt/QML/C++ code for Sailfish, of course)
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    Nice @mariuslinux, sounds like a good plan! Are you planning to write native apps or something else ?

Either way, welcome and great to have some more dev's in the house! :D
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    221.00 KarmaPosts: 157Crew
    haven't pledged. hope there will be a usable SailfishOS Port for my Nexus7 somewhere soon.
    As far as i can read the sparse informations SailfishOS 2.0s "main" new Feature will be the UI-Support of High-Resolution Displays.
    There will be lots more probably but that seems the most obvious :)
    i'm not even close to be a first one
  • ratedrated
    237.00 KarmaPosts: 65Crew
    I've not pledged. As mentioned elsewhere I have no real use for a tablet sadly.
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    @blitzschlag

Why not sell your Nexus 7 to fund j-tablet ? :P

@rated

Fair enough, tablets definitely aren't for everyone. :)
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    @JollaTides

because my boy would tell me if i sold "his" Tablet now to replace it in half a year :D
    And he's not even four years old :D
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    @Blitzschlag

Ok even better, give the nexus to your boy (for his 5th birthday) and then you can get the Jolla tablet (or "Jablet" as Mats over at the blog called it!).

It's a WIN WIN scenario! ;)
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    @JollaTides

yeah, except that i find myself looking at the tablet once every two weeks. It may be cheap but i really have no use ;)
  • andreibechetandreibechet
    321.00 KarmaPosts: 219Deckhand
    All I want is a more stable OS (since I am using the beta) and a bit more features-rich basic apps. People are already building cool apps (see Tweetian and FeedHeaven).
    PS: payed apps so we can help the devs
    Post edited by andreibechet at 2014-11-20 15:10:02
  • richardskirichardski
    14.00 KarmaPosts: 12Crew
    This tablet is a great opportunity for Jolla to produce a truly open source based device from the bootloader upwards. There is no security in the obscurity of closed source proprietary software which may be riddled with faults and backdoors.
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    well, as long as the Jolla-UI is kinda proprietary there is no true open-source around here. I don't get it anyway why the UI is not published on a free license as of yet.
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    BTT
    as the Housebuilding comes to an end in February (yay) and a, compared to the current one, usable ISP Connection will be availlable i ordered a Jolla-Tablet to replace the existing Nexus 7 which will then be passed on to my parents for video-chatting with the kids.
    Go Team Jolla :D
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    @blitzschlag

Woohoo awesome news!! I couldn't resist either even though I have a tablet and don't have any money, going to make way for a shiny new Jolla and sell the old one! :D

Over $1.2M pledged now! https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jolla-tablet-world-s-first-crowdsourced-tablet/x/9210039
  • robin_wilsonrobin_wilson
    3.00 KarmaPosts: 1Crew
    I've pledged to buy a Jolla tablet (to replace an ipad2; it will be such a pleasure to escape Apple's moat). Looks to me like I will never regret moving much faster processor and sailfish os with multitasking etc. However I might regret downsizing in tablet dimensions. I hope the Jolla doesn't seem too small. Keeping an open mind though and perhaps large-pocket-size might compensate. I look forward to getting to know it after May 2015. If a larger size Jolla tablet were to eventuate I suspect I would want that instead.
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    @robin_wilson

Multitasking is (IMO) a must on a tablet (let alone smartphone) utilising the large screen estate. As you're getting closer to netbook screen dimensions, IOS/Android-based tablets feel too restrictive for me personally.

I also owned the blackberry playbook which had multitasking, but blackberry have stopped software updates on that now + getting apps sideloaded/compatibility issues was ok for tinkerers to fix/sort out but no good for general use.

Going by the screen size of the playbook (7"), it was a more than useable size and I can't wait to see the implementation of Sailfish OS 2.0 on the bigger screen!
  • WilliePreWilliePre
    78.00 KarmaPosts: 56Crew
    I've pledged to purchase a Jolla tablet to replace a Samsung Tab3 8". Would be great to use a multitasking tablet.
    What I would like very much, is that Kobo start supporting the Jolla tablet by creating a native Sailfish ereader client.
    Post edited by WilliePre at 2014-11-27 21:46:45
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    @WilliePre

Yes a multitasking tablet is something the whole world needs and they just don't know it yet but wait until they get hooked by the sailfish bug! :D

A native e-reader would be very nice indeedy, we definitely need some native apps and that would be high up the list for a tablet I reckon.

I noticed a few developers have taken to IndieGoGo to raise funds in order to develop further for Jolla - we should all support them! (blog post on that soon)
  • WilliePreWilliePre
    78.00 KarmaPosts: 56Crew
    I've pledged for a second Jolla Tablet, so that my wife can also become a sailor. <3 <3
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    Nice! Mrs @WilliePre is a very lucky sailorette! :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In this Discussion

Tagged

Support Our Community

Your Donations Will Help Keep This Forum Afloat

Spiderpodium Car Phone Holder