Welcome to the JollaTides Community Port. Sign up to enjoy live chat and more with other Jolla owners.
Jolla Tablet Could Get 3G Connectivity And Other Features!
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    668.00 KarmaPosts: 526Captain
    News just in that if the Jolla tablet campaign increases to certain price levels, we could be in for some special treats!

At time of writing, the campaign is on $1,275,587USD

But if the following goals are reached, further features can be added:

$1,500,000: Micro sd card support up to 128gb (currently only up to 32gb)
    $1,750,000: Split screen, ability to run 2 applications side by side - this would be amazing!
    $2,500,000: For an additional $30, the tablet would be compatible with 3G sim cards for on the fly web access

Some great features there as voted for by the community - it would be amazing to have 3.5G compatibility!

We've got just under 2 weeks to help push the campaign up a level and unlock some of these great features - hopefully the addition of a retailer perk (30% discount off 20 tablets bulk buy) will help increase that total so help spread the word!

Are there any features you would have preferred or which out of those features do you like the look of the most ?
    Post edited by JollaTides at 2014-11-27 15:07:18
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    Just a thought, but if you already have pledged, it might be worth contacting your local electronics retailers and pointing them to the campaign/Jolla website and the bulk retailer deal available.

That would help raise more awareness and potentially increase the totals so those who pledged might benefit from these extra features!

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/jolla-tablet-world-s-first-crowdsourced-tablet/x/9210039#activity
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    221.00 KarmaPosts: 157Crew
    hmm, i wonder if the tablet would get phoning ability when sim/3.5g is added. Then it would be nice. but i kinda doubt i would opt in 30$ more for it.
    because in the end i can always use my jolla to connect my jolla-tablet with the internet when i feel the phone-screen is to small or the resolution is lacking when i'm outdoors.

anyway, first two perks are cool and i'd gladly take em when the show up :D

edit: and now that i think of it some more i really think they should have opted for a bigger battery capacity. the capacity might be ok while running native apps but will probably work up a sweat when you regularily have to use some Android Apps.
    Post edited by blitzschlag at 2014-11-27 15:52:19
    i'm not even close to be a first one
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    I'm not sure about that @blitzschlag - but could be a software implementation to make phoning possible? Then we would have J2/tablet in one device! :P

"i'd gladly take em when they show up"

I like the use of "when" and not "if" - now that's the spirit!! :D
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    at least the sd-card-slot-upgrade should be reachable.

Here is where Jolla can and does shine.
    More Tablets ordered means that some money can be saved on the production process due to all kinds of rebates. Not all Companies would do what Jolla does now. Giving the Customer more than he payed for in the first place. Thats the spirit to get a loyal following.
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    just did a bit of research this weekend.

the micro sd-card upgrade is not an upgrade on the Hardware side. its just a licensing fee you have to pay to Microsoft so you are allowed to use extFat File-System.

extFat Filesystem is the defined Filesystem of SDXC Cards. means if you buy a SDXC Card the involved Filesystem is extFat.
    For SDHC Cards the defined Filesystem is Fat32. So if you buy a SDHC Card there is a Free Filesystem with it.

Now the Specifications go like this:

SD-Card up to 2GB with FAT16 as Filesystem
    SDHC-Card up to 32GB with FAT32 as Filesystem
    SDXC-Card up to 2TB with extFat(proprietary License) as Filesystem

So anyone that wants to support SDXC-Cards out of the Box has to include extFAT Filesystem-Drivers. However thats illegal as long as you don't pay License fees to Microsoft. Nicely done.

From that Point of View i don't want the sd-card upgrade Perk anymore. Please Jolla. Don't pay Licensing Fees for something like that. Just dont!

Everyone interested can use SDXC-Cards ofc. just Format em with ext4 or btrfs. I use a 32GB SDHC and a 64GB SDXC-Card with my Jolla Phone. both with ext4 Filesystem.
    Yeah, you can't use em in other Multimedia Devices or on Windows(without work) but its a good way to show Microsoft the Finger.
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    @blitzschlag

Oh right I didn't realise this! Hmmm, seems the small guys are always having to line the big guys pockets for something! P-[ (N)
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    Awesome news that 2 of the stretch goals have been reached - the 128gb card support and split screen!

The campaign is now closed raising a total of $1,824,055USD - way to go Jolla!!! :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In this Discussion

Tagged

Support Our Community

Your Donations Will Help Keep This Forum Afloat

Spiderpodium Car Phone Holder