Welcome to the JollaTides Community Port. Sign up to enjoy live chat and more with other Jolla owners.
Spare Jolla battery (briefly) for sale
  • ratedrated
    237.00 KarmaPosts: 65Crew
    At long, long last Jolla put some spare batteries for sale today at: http://shop.jolla.com/eu_en/cat-accessories/jolla-official-battery.html

Unfortunately they appear to have sold out in record time (or they didn't put many up for sale) but hopefully stocks will be replenished. I wasn't able to get one (and boy do I need it - if I can't get one soon then my Jolla is going to be confined to the back of the cupboard as the current battery has very little charge-time in it these days) this time but I'll be keeping eyes peeled.
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    221.00 KarmaPosts: 157Crew
    Sorry, can't help. Didn't buy a Battery.
    i'm not even close to be a first one
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    668.00 KarmaPosts: 526Captain
    I wasn't around when they dropped but could do with a spare also... if your battery is not holding charge @rated have you thought to contact jolla care ?
  • ratedrated
    It's purely down to the sheer level of use it gets. I seldom get a year out of a normal battery as I have to use my phone for business as well as leisure, so the amount of use it gets means it degrades more quickly (I used to have about six batteries at any one time during my Nokia years).

As soon as they put them back on sale I'll be ordering a couple, that's for sure.
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    Yep me too - I think a year (constant use) is probably about right for these lithium batteries.... 300 or so charge cycles ?
  • ratedrated
    Sadly it seems Jolla haven't put any other batteries on sale and as such I'm unfortunately now in a position where I have to retire my Jolla and get another phone (at present I've had to switch back to my trusty N9 whilst I decide what to get).

The battery on my Jolla now lasts less than 2 hours on a full charge (on very little use) and if I take a phone call or surf the web it runs down far quicker.

I would have considered getting another Jolla, but since they've never made the effort to actually release somewhat important things like new batteries for sale, nor has the issue with the poor keyboard ever improved, I'm going to have to move on to another phone altogether.
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    @rated That's completely understandable under the circumstances, I still don't understand why they didn't order a batch of spare batteries in the first place to pre-empt this kind of thing happening.

Have you tried contacting jolla care - they normally go out of their way to resolve issues like this and would surely sort your issue out one way or another?

The only other alternative is to find a similar battery that fits although there appear to be caveats: https://together.jolla.com/question/65826/compatible-spare-battery/
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    i don't understand Jolla here. it can't be that hard to get a Battery-Manufacturer to produce 500 Batteries to sell on the Shop. The Last Battery-Sale should have told em that there is lots of demand.

Thats really kind of ridiculous.

• blitzschlagblitzschlag
    i did send a request to Jolla Support aswell.

maybe everyone should.
  • ratedrated
    Yup, it was mentioned to Jolla care and I was told they'd let me know if another batch of batteries went on sale. It's been a fair while since that and no joy.
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    @rated For the record, I've just opened a support ticket on this and will await advice from Jolla and post here when I hear back.

I agree it is ridiculous. A flash sale of very limited quantity is not good enough. I mean even if they started a pre-order for batteries to guarantee quantities/money upfront for the manufacturer, I'm sure that is easy enough to do!
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    got a response from jolla support stating that there will be, with high propability, no spare battery sale anytime at all.

still if you need replacement due to battery problems you should contact jolla support with details about whats wrong with your battery and you will most likely be helped...
  • ratedrated
    That really sounds like they're saying 'there is to be no future to the first Jolla phone', at least to my ears.

My guess is that once the tablet is launched they'll be working on the Jolla 2, and as such I don't see much point in trying to resurrect my Jolla. A great pity as I don't think the potential of the phone was ever lived up to, mostly through a lack of support. After all so much was made of TOH capabilities and the potential hardware applications it had, yet Jolla themselves have never created or marketed a single one.

Such a great pity and a waste of potential, but such is the case with a smaller enterprise than the big boys I guess.
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    imho they're just saying: "We don't supply backup batteries but if your battery is out of order we will help you."

statisticly todays batteries still have around 80% total charge after 1000 loading cycles. thats 3 years even if you load every day.

anyway. they could always do a indiegogo campaign for backup-batteries if its a loss to supply em otherwise.

@rated
    what did they say on your support request on a malfunctioning battery?
  • ratedrated
    I'm awaiting a response on that. My last support request was about them having another sale of batteries because I'd missed the last one and whilst I did point out that mine wasn't holding charge well, at the time it was nowhere near as bad as it has got since (it's dropped from around 5 hours on a full charge/moderate use to <2 hours since I put the first post in this thread up).<br />
    I'll await word on what they say then report back.
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    if Jolla will not help you and you're about to bury your Phone in some Cupboard consider trying some of this:

https://together.jolla.com/question/67961/warranty-void-just-found-compatible-spare-battery-for-jolla/

• JollaTidesJollaTides
    I've had 2 replies now from Jolla, here's the 1st one:

thank you for your message.

Unfortunately currently it is not possible to purchase extra batteries from Jolla Shop.

However, we replace the battery of a phone coming in for repair if the battery is not functioning properly. Have you experienced also shut downs after the charge level dropping from 50% to 4%?
    Post edited by JollaTides at 2015-02-17 11:51:41
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    Here is the second response which is a troubleshooting method to try and fix a possible battery (hardware) issue:

there is one thing you could try before sending in your phone for repair.

BATTERY CONTACTS ON PHONE BODY

The following treatment helps in keeping current path from the battery to the phone in good shape (please find enclosed some photos)

Please try to
    * Switch off your device
    * Remove the back cover and the battery
    * Then, with the side of your battery, push the three battery connector pins in to the device, and allow them to pop back out again. Only push them in in their natural range of motion. Please repeat this process about 10-15 times. It is critical that you move all three pins at the same time to avoid damaging individual pins!

Please note
    * The pins must not be pressed in a manner that bends them sideways or top-down. Only push them along their natural range of motion into the device, and then release to have them pop out automatically. Maintaining the mobility of these pins is very important.
    * You could also check that the contact pads on the battery are clean. If they look dirty, you can wipe them with a rough cloth or a pointy plastic object.

Should you feel at all uncomfortable doing this or feel like you don't fully understand these instructions, your device can also be sent in for a repair. Please let us know if you wish to send it.
    After trying these steps the device should be used normally for a few days to see if it has an effect on the restart issue.
    Post edited by JollaTides at 2015-02-17 11:52:02
  • ratedrated
    Interesting. Sometimes I do get the 50% (or indeed any arbitrary battery charge figure between 40% and 55%) dropping to 4% (very quickly followed by shutdown) so this could well be a part of the issue.

I'm going to give the battery hardware fix above a go first, but if that fails I'll submit another Jolla support ticket as I didn't get any response at all to my most recent one, so I suspect it's been lost in the ether.
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    yeah, no response at all does not sound like usual jolla behaviour. usually i got a response within 24 hours.

good luck.
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    @rated Yeah that is my main issue that it intermittently drops power at +/-50% to 4% and then switches off. However when I turn it back on again it reverts to original +/-50% only to power off again shortly after.
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    if you @rated or anyone else is still looking for a battery replacement:

https://twitter.com/JollaFr/status/627529473030754305

i got one on ebay.de for 14€. Seems the Seller got a grip on the hype now. The price is gone up to 112,90€. Keep an eye on it though. The price will be normal again. Probably its just a typo and should read 12,90€.

http://www.ebay.de/itm/PolarCell-Akku-HTC-Desire-310-D310N-B0PA2100-BA-S960-Accu-Acku-Batterie-Battery-/371361256231?hash=item5676db1327
  • ratedrated
    Afraid to say that my Jolla is now entirely retired as I really couldn't keep on dealing with the constant issues (and terrible keyboard) not to mention how long it took for such simple things as a replacement battery to become available.

It'll still sit as a back-up phone, but my Jolla days are done.
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    ah well, in this case it's well deserved for Jolla.

I'm no avid user of any Kind of Smartphones. So the six+ Days of Standby while moderately using the Phone is exactly what i like on the Jolla. And using it to ssh to my Home-Server to configure VCR Timers :D
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In this Discussion

Support Our Community

Your Donations Will Help Keep This Forum Afloat

Spiderpodium Car Phone Holder