Welcome to the JollaTides Community Port. Sign up to enjoy live chat and more with other Jolla owners.
New Jolla update
  • ratedrated
    237.00 KarmaPosts: 65Crew
    A quick heads up: Jolla have rolled out update 10 just now and I've downloaded and installed.

All appeared to be fine until the final reboot, which then didn't happen and now the phone won't load up at all.

I appear to have been bricked (going from version 8 to version 10 as I didn't opt in to V9).

Just a quick forewarning folks. Hopefully this won't happen to other people....
    Post edited by rated at 2014-12-19 09:34:56
  • andreibechetandreibechet
    321.00 KarmaPosts: 219Deckhand
    Did you do a backup? You can still reset to factory. Were you using a lock code? That seems to cause some issues.
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    221.00 KarmaPosts: 157Crew
    had no trouble updating here.

@rated
    have a look at https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202208763. but contact customer support first.
    i'm not even close to be a first one
    I also had no trouble updating, and now I must say ... the phone is back to normal :).
    Good luck with fixing your device!
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    still the update is held back by jolla due to a bug with the alphanumeric screen-lock.

if you have already updated don't use the alphanumeric screen lock yet. There probably will be a hotfix.

https://together.jolla.com/question/71741/release-notes-on-hold-software-version-11126-vaarainjarvi/
    Post edited by blitzschlag at 2014-12-19 10:00:53
  • ratedrated
    Sadly I have no backup from prior to the update this time around, more fool me there I think.

No lock code in place either.

I've got a support ticket open with Jolla care. Hoping they can find a fix but I suspect it's going to be one I have to send back.
  • jollamatejollamate
    115.00 KarmaPosts: 69Crew
    don't beat me for this, but i still wonder what's the benefit of 1.11.
    still when i'm on, say, 3rd screen and want to enter setup i have to scroll up to the very other end of all screens.
    keyboard is still very hard to avoid wrong keys pressed.
    in cal/carddav for entering serveraddress the keyboard doesnt offer a slash on the first keyboard layer, must switch to second layer - but for what is a comma here good? replacing comma by a slash, for instande? ok, it's a german keyboard, but i doubt that the german localization can be blamed for this.
    when i'm on the top most screen and want the pull down menu and i'm "pulling" with too fast by accident, it jumps over all options. sometimes when i'm pulling very carefully and slow, first option doesn't vibrate.
    to be continued ...

better navigation in apps, less power consumption, ..., everything worth to make it better. i (just me?) first would like to see and get an improvement in basic handling.
    Post edited by jollamate at 2014-12-22 14:59:16
  • ratedrated
    As a quick update to my circumstances: Jolla Care didn't have a fix other than a factory reset so I've reset to zero and am up and running again.

The update has now run fine and the performance of the phone is much better for it. I do agree with some of @Jollamate's points though - the main one of course being that the keyboard still really needs some work on it as since I switched to my N9 whilst awaiting a response from Jolla care it really highlighted how poor the keyboard on the Jolla is for those who type regularly on it.
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    Glad its running again.
    did you ask for a new battery while in the process?

keyboard is less annoying if you use it in horizontal mode if the app allows it. still i'll be glad if the hardware-keyboard arrives here.
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    668.00 KarmaPosts: 526Captain
    Sounds like you had the same problem as I did with the previous update @rated. But that ended up being my fault as I thought the screen was powered off (during install) so switch the phone off. Turned out the screen had just gone black!

I managed to backup everything that was important via the boot menu and then factory reset fixed everything.

Anyway, glad you got the latest running ok now and hope you had a good festive season otherwise! :)
  • ratedrated
    They did ask if I'd turned it off during the update but that wasn't the case (since I'd just left it to update on it's own whilst I was off doing something else - came back around 45 minutes later to find it dead), best guess is the phone just decided to fail on the first re-boot during the update and switched off. Nevertheless, the beastie is working again now.

I didn't think to ask about a new battery (in all honesty if they'd said the phone needed to be sent off for a repair I probably wouldn't have bothered as the shipping costs/wait would have been too much hassle), but I'm hoping they get around to putting a few on sale again soon.

I don't like putting the boot into the phone as much as I do, and don't get me wrong I do love it. It's just there are a few niggles that really keep getting to me, especially having gone back to the N9 for a few weeks whilst awaiting a response from Jolla Care.
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    668.00 KarmaPosts: 526Captain
    @rated don't worry you can say what you want, we're here for you, venting is good. :)

Perhaps the battery died while updating (unless you had it on charge), or maybe like you say it was just a crash during reboot.

I'm also looking for a battery replacement now after a year and hope we see some more availability soon (and price drops).
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    luckily the battery of my phone is still good for up to four days of usage.
    I don't have to kill time in sub or train though. And i don't use Android Apps lately. Mostly just Mail, SMS, Phone-Calls and some quick Photos now and then. Only Android App i use is the GPS-Navigation (Navigator). And thats only one a Month or so.
    What i have to do to limit the Power-Consumption even more in my low-use-profile is to limit the mobile-network to 3G. If i let it use 4G the battery is pretty much dead after 36 hours even without use. so i manually enable 4G if i have to do something data-heavy and then turn it off again.

luckily the battery of my phone is still good for up to four days of usage.
    I don't have to kill time in sub or train though. And i don't use Android Apps lately. Mostly just Mail, SMS, Phone-Calls and some quick Photos now and then. Only Android App i use is the GPS-Navigation (Navigator). And thats only one a Month or so.
    What i have to do to limit the Power-Consumption even more in my low-use-profile is to limit the mobile-network to 3G. If i let it use 4G the battery is pretty much dead after 36 hours even without use. so i manually enable 4G if i have to do something data-heavy and then turn it off again.

Technically speaking reverting to 2G will save even more.
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    yes, but thats kinda marginal (like 2% battery/day. wild guess).
    hmm more ... 3G is much more complicated in design and implementation than 4G. Thus I am a bit amazed to hear that it is worse. On my work phone (nexus 5) it is a bit better with LTE.
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    hmmm, if i use skype (for example) with 4G the battery looses around 12% charge every hour (skype just in idle). If i have the same scenario with 3G its merely around 7%.

Thats not scientific proven numbers. just my observation over here.

hmmm, if i use skype (for example) with 4G the battery looses around 12% charge every hour (skype just in idle). If i have the same scenario with 3G its merely around 7%.

Thats not scientific proven numbers. just my observation over here.

Nothing beats that :)
    Post edited by andreibechet at 2015-01-09 08:21:04
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    :D

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In this Discussion

Support Our Community

Your Donations Will Help Keep This Forum Afloat

Spiderpodium Car Phone Holder