Welcome to the JollaTides Community Port. Sign up to enjoy live chat and more with other Jolla owners.
So whats your Mobile Phone history?!
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    221.00 KarmaPosts: 157Crew
    Here i sit and the project is compiling. Enough time to think about the upcoming Jolla and to recollect my Mobile Phone history. Quite some years but few Devices really.

so here goes:
    Nokia 3210 (heh, surely i'm the only one...)
    Siemens S45
    Siemens S65
    Motorola A780 (my current for 8 years now)

A shame Siemens quit producing Mobiles. They were top-notch.
    A shame the A780 was a one-off by Motorola. It was definately a step in the right direction.
    A shame the Nokia stakeholders allowed Microsoft to Crash their company just to get a cheap Mobile producer with a former well known and respected name.
    Lets see if Jolla can meet the high expectations that the small Community anticipates.

i sincerely hope the Jolla got what it takes to satisfy me for the next 8 years.
    i'm not even close to be a first one
  • CoolHuhCoolHuh
    48.50 KarmaPosts: 28Crew
    Many Nokias (Starting with Nokia 6110, 3310,6100, E60, X2-03, ....) and now Jolla.
    The reason why I immediately went for Jolla is that, in Order to stay with Nokia I would have needed to learn a whole new "Handling" because of the Windows OS on the Lumia's. I was still kind of contemplating going for a Lumis it when I heard that Nokia sell the Mobile Phones to Microsoft. After that there was only one possibility. Call me a nationalist if you want to :), but as a Finn I really like to have a "Finnish Phone".
    Post edited by CoolHuh at 2013-11-26 11:25:41
  • andreibechetandreibechet
    321.00 KarmaPosts: 219Deckhand
    Nokia 8110
    Nokia 3410 - Enjoyed this phone.
    Nokia 1100
    Nokia n73 me - Loved this phone. Had it for 3 years and something
    Iphone 3g - Meh ... not impressed
    Blackberry 8900 Curve
    Blackberry 9000 Bold - Loved the keyboard on it and the premium feel.
    HTC Desire - Awful experience ... hardware and software. Android is not for me.
    Iphone 4 - Loved the design of the phone. There was nothing then to match it (in my opinion). Still using it.
    ... awaiting Jolla :)

What is funny is that last year I was actually considering to buy Nokia n9 ... but like a couple of weeks after I heard Jolla's 1st announcement (then I knew I would want their phone). Anyways if it weren't for Jolla right now I would be quite depressed wrt to which mobile phone should I buy .... nothing, absolutely nothing is interesting out there. I am especially disappointed about the android world (maybe this new nexus is of ok value).
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    668.00 KarmaPosts: 526Captain
    Heh some good lists here! I'm afraid I'm going to have to go backwards as my memory may get a bit sketchy! lol

Next Phone: The Jolla!!
    Current Phone: Blackberry Z10 (got it to understand android compatibility and get accustomed to bigger screen size in advance for receiving Jolla)
    Previous Phones:
    Nokia 620 (missing lots of classic Nokia features but useable)
    iPhone 4 (useable but no magic of N900 or other previous Nokia phones)
    Nokia N8 (a keeper but RAM freeze issues forced a change)
    Nokia E7 (great kb but missing N900 features: no sd card; FF camera; no FM TX etc)
    HTC Wildfire S (only got it for UMA support in light of terrible network reception)
    Nokia N9 (amazing but struggled to get reception making unusable as phone :-( )
    Nokia N900 (the smartphone to beat!)
    Nokia 5140 (love this one built for outdoor use, rugged!)
    HTC Touch HD (first outing with full touch screen...meh, went back to simple Nokia!)
    Sony Ericsson K810
    Nokia 6280 (The only Nokia I didn't like so much)
    Motorola E365 (Hand-me-down after I'd been away travelling)
    Nokia 3510 (Good at time but GF dropped down toilet!)
    Nokia 8310 (Great phone tiny at the time!)
    Nokia 3210 (work)
    Nokia 6150 (work)
    Motorola M3288 (Ouch, terrible - back to Nokia!)
    Nokia 6110 (work)

(thanks to gsmarena to help jolt my memory for model names in places!)

Some very early models were supplied work phones but got used a lot! I noticed going back that there was always a pattern of using Nokia, then giving another brand a go but ultimately returning to Nokia.

From the N900 onwards, I have been trying out a few different smartphone models to find 'the one' which lead to a relatively high turnover of models in a short space of time.

I also wanted to remain objective for the JollaTides blog writing so felt like I had to try some other systems (ie. IOS, Android, WP8, BB10) to form 1st hand opinions. (well that was my excuse!)

Many are sold or given away now but some I held on to eg. still use the rugged 5140 as a reliable emergency backup phone still on the same original battery can you believe!

The only other phone I would have really loved to get my hands on was the 808 Pureview, but after Symbian was declared dead, I felt I regrettably couldn't pursue it. Like the N9, it was also impossible to get other than via import.

I was always a bit of a late adopter, not concerned with getting the latest and greatest immediately upon release but more concerned about the best balance of affordability vs functionality at the time. In this case, the N900, N9 and Jolla are the main exceptions to that rule and had the extra bit of magic to make me disregard all logic! ;-)
  • KnuXKnuX
    90.00 KarmaPosts: 81Crew
    I had a lot too.

Motorola Flare -- Still works, and makes calls too :D
    Nokia 3110 -- The old one: so old that they actually reused the name for a newer device.
    Nokia 7110 -- I loved this phone. First nokia phone with WAP, if I remember correctly. Had it for so long (and was serviced multiple times so it would keep rocking...)
    Ericsson T39 -- Smallest phone I ever had, I think
    Sony-Ericsson T68i -- First SE phone, after the merger (there's also a Ericsson version)
    Nokia 8310 -- Not bad, I guess. Was just a temp job
    Nokia 5800XM -- First Nokia touchscreen S60. Not bad, and unlike the N900 it was supported for a long time and had lots of feature enhancements.
    Nokia N900 -- The phone I had been waiting for all my life. And will be waiting for a true replacement for a long while.
    Nokia 6630 -- Had to go back to this one after I had some hw issues with the N900.

... and then I went to Android :/

Most of the phones above I still have, and they can still make calls.
    I like collecting old cell phones, for instance I recently got an Nokia N91 which believe it or not ACTUALLY SPORTS A HARD DRIVE. Those guys are Nokia were crazy innovators. Still works fine. And yeah if you hold it to your ear you can definitely hear it clicking away.
    Also have the last of the communicators (9210i) and lots of other random Nokias and non-Nokias.
    QWERTY fanboy: Nokia N900 (Maemo 5), Sony-Ericsson Xperia Pro (Android 4.0 ICS), Samsung Captivate Glide (Android 4.2 JB), Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G (Android 4.3 JB)
    Still miss the awesomeness of the N900...
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    @Knux

I really desperately wanted that Nokia 7110! I remember there was a girl at work who had one when it came out and I was very envious!

Wasn't that the phone that was also featured in the matrix ?
  • KnuXKnuX

@Knux

I really desperately wanted that Nokia 7110! I remember there was a girl at work who had one when it came out and I was very envious!

Common misconception: It actually was the first to include the spring-loaded mechanism that they used in the matrix, but the phone used in the movie was a modified Nokia 8110.

My mom had the original one, but it had no spring to open the phone :)

I wish I still had that one in my collection, but I don't know what happened to it.

The 7110 also had a cool paint where it had a different color between green and red depending on the angle from which you looked at the phone. Damn was I a cool guy in school for having it from almost the day it came out.
    QWERTY fanboy: Nokia N900 (Maemo 5), Sony-Ericsson Xperia Pro (Android 4.0 ICS), Samsung Captivate Glide (Android 4.2 JB), Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G (Android 4.3 JB)
  • EerdeEerde
    3.00 KarmaPosts: 0Crew
    OK here is my phone history:

Siemens S4
    Ericsson T68
    Siemens Xelibri 4
    Ericsson R380
    Nokia N95
    Nokia N900
    Nokia N9
    Jolla/Sailfish
    "Chaos does not exist, it is only a higher form of order"
    KnuX said:

@Knux

Common misconception: It actually was the first to include the spring-loaded mechanism that they used in the matrix, but the phone used in the movie was a modified Nokia 8110.

My mom had the original one, but it had no spring to open the phone :)

I wish I still had that one in my collection, but I don't know what happened to it.

The 7110 also had a cool paint where it had a different color between green and red depending on the angle from which you looked at the phone. Damn was I a cool guy in school for having it from almost the day it came out.

Yep ... mine did not have a spring-loaded mechanism. Anyways I had it before Matrix came out.
  • technicustechnicus
    85.00 KarmaPosts: 84Deckhand
    Nokia 3210 - got stolen in school
    Nokia 5210 - liked it but lost it during skiing holidays
    Sony Ericsson W810i - fall under a truck
    Nokia N9 - died in field work because of a havy rain
    Sony Ericsson Active - quiet okay but Android is not a good OS :/
    Jolla - hopeing to fall in love like in the good old Nokia 210 times :)
    technicus said:

Nokia 3210 - got stolen in school
    Nokia 5210 - liked it but lost it during skiing holidays
    Sony Ericsson W810i - fall under a truck
    Nokia N9 - died in field work because of a havy rain
    Sony Ericsson Active - quiet okay but Android is not a good OS :/
    Jolla - hopeing to fall in love like in the good old Nokia 210 times :)

Maaan you were unlucky with the phones :))
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    @technicus

Like Andre said, you had some bad luck man! I really hope the Jolla is the one that breaks the trend! :-) :-D
  • simosimo
    12.00 KarmaPosts: 13Crew
    +20 different phones, mostly Nokia models (first one bought 1992), listing here just some I feel worth mentioning:
    - Nokia 1011, The First One is always worth mentioning
    - Nokia 9210 communicator, still working perfectly
    - Nokia N73 ME, "joystick" button cover lost but working perfectly. This was nice for music.
    - Nokia N91 with hard drive and steel covers, still working perfectly. Love this.
    - Nokia N95, most horrible, didn't last for long
    - Nokia E71, good hardware keyboard, still working perfectly and in daily use.
    - ZTE Blade, an unbelievable operator offer some three years back: 2€/month including internet) made me buy several for family/friends too. 1 lost, 1 broken, 2 given away, 1 with broken surface (working), 1 working perfectly.
    - In use: ZTE Blade, rooted, Android 4.1.
    - To be replaced by Jolla. Also my Blade will be rooted to Sailfish, if Pienimäki's promise comes true before it breaks.

Some old models with video+wifi are still used occasionally as online-cameras.
    Nice link to mobile history by year
    Post edited by simo at 2013-11-28 11:10:20
    Waiting for my first Jolla, in white and orange ;)
  • PJW_2273PJW_2273
    22.00 KarmaPosts: 14Crew
    It's hard to remember them all but in chronological order is I think its:
    - Ericsson A1018s (1999)
    - Nokia 2110
    - Nokia 6310
    - Nokia 5510 (Wierd!)
    - Nokia 6510
    - Nokia 9500
    - Nokia 9300
    - Nokia E61
    - Nokia 9300i
    - Nokia E61i
    - Nokia N95
    - Nokia E75
    - HTC Desire
    - Galaxy Nexus
    - LG Optimus 4X HD
    - Lumia 625 (Oct 2013)

14 years, 16 Phones. the longest serving being the 9300.
  • technicustechnicus
    85.00 KarmaPosts: 84Deckhand
    @PJQ_2273

A short story to the Nokia 9300 because it's from the Nokia Communicator Model :)
    My father had the Nokia 9110. I guess it was the world's second "smartphone". The first was as far as i can remember the Nokia 9000.

In your face Apple >:-)
  • KnuXKnuX
    The cool think is that the first two Nokia communicators (the 9000 and the 9110) actually used x86 processors --- 9000 a 386 from Intel and 9110 a 486 from AMD.

Its strange to think that Intel is still trying to get back to the smartphone market after all these years :)
  • 0rphu0rphu
    1.00 KarmaPosts: 4Crew
    This really brings back memories... Cool thread! So let's see...

Alcatel OT 300, guess I sold it back in the day
    Siemens C55, polyphonic ringtones, yay! I had to pawn that one and never got it back :(
    Siemens M55, color display, cool! I still got it!
    Asus P535, touchscreen :D, windows :( gave it away to a friend.
    Sony Ericsson W902, gave it to my sister, display plexi cover cracked, but still working
    Nokia N900, Linux, qwerty, I was in love with that phone. Stopped charging after almost 2 years. Sent it for repair, they said it's beyond repair and gave me my money back.
    Sony Ericsson W995, always wanted that one. Imagine a mobile phone with a 3.5 mm jack, revolutionary idea! Got it as a temporary phone, still with me, until my Jolla arrives.
    HTC Desire S, for work...
  • RR_aus_HRR_aus_H
    53.00 KarmaPosts: 19Crew
    From the first phone, until now, I always used Nokia phones.
    I was a late adopter to mobil phones (a long time I thougt I dont need one)

The first one in about Summer 1997:
    -- 3110 (GSM 900 Standard)
    -- 6210 my first Dualband
    -- 6310i Tri-Band (for use in the USA) and Bluetooth! incredible Standby Time!!
    -- 6600 my First with color-screen (gave it to my son) 6310i still in use !!
    -- N73 nice, but gave it to my son (cameras not allowed in some factorys)
    Still using the 6310i (with the same batteries)
    -- 5800 my first Smartphone, nice for me, because GPS works fine with the Nokia-Maps.
    -- N8-00 best camera I ever saw, very nice UI (after update to "Belle")
    -- N9 64GB storage, has every I want (except updates :’( )
    And I was extremely dissapointed from Nokia because of their "customer care"

-- and now!! ...I am waiting for a Mail, so I can get my Jolla #2260 before Christmas :-D

Greetings from Southgermany.
    Post edited by RR_aus_H at 2013-12-06 12:30:31
  • rgsidlerrgsidler
    11.00 KarmaPosts: 6Crew
    Motorola D600 (around 1990/91, one of the first users of NATEL D)
    Nokia 8910i
    Nokia 6233
    Nokia N900
    Nokia N9
    Samsung Galaxy Note
    Samsung Galxy Note 2
    Jolla
    Post edited by rgsidler at 2013-12-06 15:17:47
  • myflywheelmyflywheel
    5.00 KarmaPosts: 3Crew
    Motorola Microtac 7200 bought an extra battery and en IntelliCharge XT station.
    Ericsson, 300 something - the one with the replaceable front plate available in multiple colours.
    MC cd930
    A couple of Nokias, they got smaller and smaller and replaceable covers
    SE CDS120
    Some SE
    SE K300i
    A Nokia Clamshell, that got stolen after a fortnight
    Reverted back to the SE K300i
    N900
    SE Xperia Pro (Broke)
    N900 (Second hand)
    Now waiting for the Jolla
    Post edited by myflywheel at 2013-12-06 19:01:20
  • UniversebenzeneUniversebenzene
    0.00 KarmaPosts: 0Crew
    I got my father's Nokia 6670 in 2009 (he bought it in 2006)
    Then Nokia N8-00 in 2011 (still using it)
    Then about three month ago I got the last Symbian phone Nokia 808 PureView (also still using it)
    However I hope to have an N9 for my last Nokia phone...Maybe I'll get one next year...And after that I will support Jolla.
  • MarkkyboyMarkkyboy
    69.00 KarmaPosts: 40Crew
    Phone history,

Phillips Savvy BTCELLNET TCD128/BD (my first phone, with £5 air time, brick!)
    Nokia 6210e (sold back to original owner at profit, good phone, reliable)
    Samsung T100 (admin for T100.org, phone got flattened in Tesco car park, doh!)
    Orange SPV C500 (binned, got tomtom running on it, but it fell to bits after a wall hit it!) :D
    O2 XDA Exec (bought damaged £20, replaced screen, sold for £170)
    Motorola SLVR L7e (took a dive into toilet, stripped & cleaned, put on eBay for £45, sold. working!)
    Sony Ericsson T68i (utter crap, ultimately, it's a girls phone, I gave it away)
    Nokia N-Gage QD - (eBayed 3 weeks after buying, crap)
    Nokia N73 ME (great little phone, bits fell off, buttons packed up, had tomtom running on it!)
    Nokia N85 8GB (swapped for Nokia X6, guy didn't like touch screen, wanted buttons, swapped over a cold pint at my local, my first intro to touch screen!)
    Nokia X6 (see above, lol, good phone, camera okay, but like many Nokia's they crumble after a while, despite intense care/covers/cases/etc).
    Nokia N95 (sold on eBay to China, buyer claims he never got it, long story, but an okay phone, another one where bits just fell off).
    Nokia N8 16GB (loved it, great camera, speedy for texting, nice build, scratched too easily).
    N9 (currently selling on eBay, love it and hate it, hence it's going!)

Jolla - Status unknown, paid in full, waiting.......................just waiting, ......{sigh}, still waiting! :D
    Post edited by Markkyboy at 2013-12-08 16:33:52
  • hwesselmannhwesselmann
    2.00 KarmaPosts: 1Crew
    My phone history (yes, I am a big fan of Palm webOS):

- Mitsubishi Trium Astral (came with prepaid card)
    - Siemens C35
    - Siemens M35
    - Ericsson T230
    - Nokia 6120 classic
    - Palm Pre
    - Palm Pre+
    - Palm Pre2
    - HP Veer
    - HP Pre3
    - Nokia Lumia 820
    - Alcatel Onetouch Fire (secondary phone)

Damn, those are a lot of phones. My first smartphone was the Palm Pre, for which I spent about 480€ on launch day.
    Waiting for my Jolla, hoping Sailfish will have a brighter future than webOS had...
  • CanoeistCanoeist
    2.00 KarmaPosts: 1Crew
    My phone history began in the late 90's with a used Nokia 101 (still using the NMT network). After that came my first GSM-phone in the form of a Nokia 1620. Since then I've had at least the following:

- Nokia 8110
    - Nokia 8110i (you could compose your own ringtone!)
    - Nokia 5110
    - Some Siemens model, had two of those as the first froze the same day I got it :)
    - A Motorola, my first WAP phone, had two of those as well
    - Nokia 7110
    - Nokia 9110 Communicator
    - Nokia 6210
    - Nokia 9210 Communicator
    - Nokia N-Gage QD
    - Sony- Ericsson k600i
    - Nokia 7210 Supernova
    - Nokia E71
    - Nokia N8 (still in use as a backup phone at home)

Now I'm happily using the Jolla, hoping that it would prove as reliable a companion as a few of my previous phones have been. The six last phones of the list I still have, and only the E71 is unoperable (doesn't charge anymore). The others still charge up and work perfectly...
    Post edited by Canoeist at 2013-12-17 14:34:09
  • ratedrated
    237.00 KarmaPosts: 65Crew
    Sony J5
    Nokia 6600
    Nokia N95 8gb
    Nokia N900
    Nokia N9
    Jolla.
  • OwersaOwersa
    4.00 KarmaPosts: 3Crew
    Motorola Flare
    Nokia 7110
    Ericsson T39 -- Smallest phone I ever had, I think
    Sony-Ericsson sT18i
  • elasticelastic
    1.00 KarmaPosts: 1Crew
    So after long thinking:

only the ones I really used for more than a few days

Bosch Com 607
    Nokia 2210
    Siemens C35
    Siemens S35
    Ericsson T68i
    Sagem My-x6
    Sagem My-x8
    Sony Ericsson K800i

Palm Pre
    Nokia N900
    Nokia N8 - now my girlfriends
    Nokia N9 - still have it
    Sony Ericsson Xperia mini pro
    iPhone 4
    Nokia Lumia 620 - still have it
    BlackBerry Z10 - still have it
    Jolla - now testing

• pseudoscionpseudoscion
    1.00 KarmaPosts: 1Crew
    Nokia 6110
    Nokia 6210
    Nokia 6230
    Sony Ericsson K750
    LG Viewty
    Nokia E71 - fantastic phone, slim lines, but built like a brick
    Nokia N8 - my favourite ever phone, loved it, would have like to upgrade to an 808
    Jolla - Love it, but it has many flaws, not sure how much longer I'll stay with it

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In this Discussion

Support Our Community

Your Donations Will Help Keep This Forum Afloat

Spiderpodium Car Phone Holder