Welcome to the JollaTides Community Port. Sign up to enjoy live chat and more with other Jolla owners.
Compatible Headsets for Jollaphone
  • RR_aus_HRR_aus_H
    53.00 KarmaPosts: 19Crew
    Hello together,
    I would like to know if the Nokia headsets, for example the "Nokia WH 701 Stereo", works with the Jollaphone.
    Including the Controlbuttons "Play, Next ,Pause, Skip ...."
    Maybe someone has tested it and can tell if it works.
    These headset was shipped with the Nokia N8-00 and I would like to use it with my new Jollaphone when I get it.
    Hopefully in the next few days

Greetings from Southgermany,
    Roland
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    668.00 KarmaPosts: 526Captain Accepted Answer
    @RR_aus_H

Hi and welcome with a very good question.

I have just got some initial feedback for you which I have quoted below:

" older Nokia headsets shipped outside US are incompatible. Anything compatible with iPhone or Samsung works with #jolla"

Maybe this could be something we see addressed in a future software update or does anyone know if it is purely hardware related?
  • myflywheelmyflywheel
    5.00 KarmaPosts: 3Crew
    I suspect it is hardware dependent
  • cybettecybette
    32.00 KarmaPosts: 14Sailor
    It's a hardware thing, and headset compatibility is more complicated than one might think. It depends on the number of pins, the arrangement/order of the pins, and resistance on the control for signalling (Apple needs to be different from the rest). Here's an article to confuse you further :)

I think the WH-701 will not work on the Jolla, but don't take my word for it. Someone please test it out and share your findings. I've only tested 3-pin headphones (no control buttons) with my Jolla and those work fine.
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    668.00 KarmaPosts: 526Captain
    @cybette

Thanks for the detailed info and I've got a couple of Nokia headsets to test and let you know when the Jolla gets here. <3
  • technicustechnicus
    85.00 KarmaPosts: 84Deckhand
    @cybette

First of all, thank you cybette for the information :)
    Could you please also say which headphones you did use? :) Would be awesome! :D
  • cybettecybette
    @technicus

Sure, I have used Koss PortaPro, Logitech Ultimate Ears 400, and EarPollution NervePipes. All 3-pin, without controls, as I have my Jolla in hand usually and touchscreen gloves so no need to fiddle with flimsy headset controls ;) Just use volume keys and active covers on device :D
    Post edited by cybette at 2013-12-09 10:15:32
  • blitzschlagblitzschlag
    221.00 KarmaPosts: 157Crew
    oh hi @cybette

are there any official or semi-official DAC and Headphone-Amp Specifications availlable?
    i'm not even close to be a first one
  • technicustechnicus
    85.00 KarmaPosts: 84Deckhand
    @cybette

Thank you 8)
  • cybettecybette
    hi @blitzschlag

unfortunately I don't have info about that. have you tried asking in irc or mailing list, maybe some of the other experts can advice :)
  • PurjekalaPurjekala
    5.00 KarmaPosts: 2Crew
    Nokia Essence Bluetooth headset works and you can also adjust volume up and down. Put volume to max from your phone and reduce from Essence because it can not adjust past preset volume.

Still need to test taking calls in and out...

• KaaczKaacz
    25.00 KarmaPosts: 19Crew
    Some cheap TEAC HP-4BT stereo headphones works fine include remote control - FF/REW, pause after delay / unpause immediately.
  • RR_aus_HRR_aus_H
    Nokia headset "WH 701 Stereo" and the 4-Pin Models before won't work with the the Jollaphone because of the connections.
    The older Nokiaphones include N9 used these Pinout

The newer Phones including IPhone , newer Android, Nokia Windowsphone and Jolla are using an alternate Pinout

This means, if you use the an older Headset, your "Sound expierience" will be very quietly and "thin" because the Signal has to go over the Aux-Pin to Ground.

I changed the 2 Pins on my Headset and it works fine, but without control-posibilities.
    It would be nice to know from the Programmers of the Audiopart of the Phone if a cable-remote is programmed in the Jollaphone.

So every Headset which works full on these Phone,was Bluetooth controlled,
    but I am looking for a wired Headset for some practical reasons.

The big Image is the original "old" Pinout including N9,
    the small one is the Pinout of the newer Phones, including Jolla !

3mm5_jack_4i.svg.png
    256 x 407 - 8K
    Post edited by RR_aus_H at 2013-12-26 18:46:50
  • danesteddanested
    1.00 KarmaPosts: 1Crew
    Thats well and good, exactly what i was hoping for. I've got an N9 and I'm tired of using the connector to use the iPhone compatible headphones with my phone. The N9 compatible one's are rare and difficult to find.
  • richardskirichardski
    14.00 KarmaPosts: 12Crew
    Hi PP_aus_H,

We have lost the top two images in your post:(

Richard
  • RR_aus_HRR_aus_H
    It looks like I've made a mistake by uploading the images.
    The Image which is left on my post is the newer Pin-Out of the most Phones.
    Jolla, iPhone etc...
    For the old Pin-Out, which was used by Nokia N9 N8-00 and so on, the 2 Pins "GND" and "AUX" are changed.
  • RR_aus_HRR_aus_H
    Unfortunately one image (N9) is not displayed in my Message.
    The displayed image shows the Pinout of the Jolla-Phone.
    The N9 has changed the Pins "AUX" and "GND"

But one question is still not answered:
    Is the headphone jack from the hardware (chipset) able to handle control-signals?
    If yes, it should be only a question of the OS to make it work.

For me it would be a good thing to have a wired headphone,
    because sometimes you should use Bluetooth for other things at the same time.

• kingsnewclotheskingsnewclothes
    2.00 KarmaPosts: 2Crew
    I'm writing this on notepad because my firefox doesn't fire up keyboard. I went on to buy a iphone specific sennheiser mm50 with the idea of using it with my jolla phone. I must report them incompatible as a headset. I can
    listen to internet radio via a native app but once the ringtone cuts in my ears are at peril. No matter how i adjust the level it plays at full blast. Also the push to talk feature doesn't seem to work. N9 used to have a function which recognised the kind of hardware plugged in. Not so with this jolla phone as yet.
  • kingsnewclotheskingsnewclothes
    2.00 KarmaPosts: 2Crew
    I think the latest OS update 1.0.3.8 fixed the ringtone problem with the iPhone specific headset I mentioned, but I still have no idea whether my mm50 works as it is intended.
  • GoJollaGoJolla
    1.00 KarmaPosts: 1Crew
    Unfortunately, the awesome AD-54 from Nokia doesn't work at all. It would have been the most luxurious solution... What a pity!

Post edited by GoJolla at 2015-04-03 02:35:12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In this Discussion

Support Our Community

Your Donations Will Help Keep This Forum Afloat

Spiderpodium Car Phone Holder