Welcome to the JollaTides Community Port. Sign up to enjoy live chat and more with other Jolla owners.
What do you LOVE about your Jolla?
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    668.00 KarmaPosts: 526Captain
    Okay, so we've got a few threads running for ongoing constructive feedback, beta bugs aside, what is it that you really love about your Jolla ?

So far, I really love the multitasking homescreen which is that one place you always return to, with it's live tiles and multitasking goodness - it definitely feels like home!

I love the fact that apps are freely available out of the box, and most (95%) have worked without hitch and even integrating with some UI features in some cases. That's not to say they are absolutely perfect and I would far prefer more native options with better integration, but mostly they do the job fine.

I love the fact we've got the power of terminal running in our pockets - that's something that goes without saying, but it never ceases to amaze me! :-D

Now I've got past the initial learning curve, I'm really loving the swipe UI which is now (after only 3 days) becoming second nature. I went back to my old phone earlier to copy some files across and was using Sailfish gestures to try and navigate without much success. That's how quickly it's become almost second nature!

I really enjoy discovering new things and with the Jolla phone I keep finding new treasures just when I thought I'd learn't all there was to learn.

Finally, I'm really looking forward to what the other half might bring - that - I'm sure will add a whole new dimension and I can't wait to see what Jolla and community people come up with! :-D

What do you really like about your Jolla ?
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    I also love how quickly Sailfish boots up/shuts down - it's hands down one of the fastest out there to boot I think - might do a video showing that at some point. ;-)

Oh and the alarm function working when the phone is turned off, reminiscent of old Nokia phones, makes me smile when I wake up! :-D
  • KnuXKnuX
    90.00 KarmaPosts: 81Crew
    It would be interesting if you could measure how fast is the boot.
    At least on the Android phones I've owned, it is pretty slow, that's a pretty cool feature.
    QWERTY fanboy: Nokia N900 (Maemo 5), Sony-Ericsson Xperia Pro (Android 4.0 ICS), Samsung Captivate Glide (Android 4.2 JB), Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G (Android 4.3 JB)
    Still miss the awesomeness of the N900...
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
  • andreibechetandreibechet
    321.00 KarmaPosts: 219Deckhand
    I just love the gestures and how beautiful the UI is. I keep finding myself just fiddling around without any purpose :p.

Also I really like the whole concept which Jolla brought to life: unlike company, unlike community and unlike device :)
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    I definitely agree on all accounts there and keep doing the same thing with the phone. I just love that you get the feeling from using the UI Jolla have put everything into this from the ground up.

Yes there are beta bugs that need fixing, but the treasures to be found outweigh those IMO.

• ratedrated
    237.00 KarmaPosts: 65Crew
    Obviously I've detailed all the bits I'm a fan of before, but if you ask me to pick one thing which I'm enjoying the most it's that the device is kind of imperfect, but in a fun way. It's actually very enjoyable to noodle around with the phone (likely because the OS is so user-friendly) and try to "fix" the little imperfections you may come across in something (Such as running an Android app, finding that some part of it doesn't work and then spending some time finding the issue and fixing it).

Sounds odd, yes, but I doubt many of us are particularly normal people on here... Quirks are good.
  • evdwevdw
    7.00 KarmaPosts: 5Crew
    Very stylish. I like the pulley menus quite much. And generally the smooth, gesture-based operation. And Linux of course: an operating system with enthusiasm at it's foundation. And then: the BASH terminal! Ever after I ruined my n900 I missed the terminal so very much. And now I have it back again and with bash it's even better.
  • patrickpatrick
    9.00 KarmaPosts: 6Crew
    The whole UI is just amazing. I loved the N9's UI, I think Blackberry did a good job on BB10, but so far I like Sailfish best because it combines gestures, multitasking and the fantastic pulley menus. It all just feels so natural and every other concept out there feels so outdated compared to it.

I also like the hardware design very much. When I saw the first pictures the clearly visible two halfs seemed somewhat odd, but now I love it. The phone actually looks a lot better in real than on most pictures.

There's more I like, of course. These were just the most obvious things.
  • JollaTidesJollaTides
    @Rated - agreed on those points and yes those endearing slight imperfections and the huge potential already seen in the Beta release that shows us even greater future potential for 2014. :-)

@evdw - The Linux heart is definitely a big factor that draws many people to Jolla - it's indeed the passion of open source which brings us all together and gives me a warm glow when I look at my terminal-in-my-pocket Jolla phone! The hope is Jolla will gradually open up even more elements as the OS begins to settle down in 2014.

@patrick - I agree - after a couple of days of playing with Sailfish the gestures got embedded, now when I try using one of my other phones, I keep using Sailfish gestures (without much luck!). :-D
  • manutmanut
    17.00 KarmaPosts: 11Crew
    KnuX said:

It would be interesting if you could measure how fast is the boot.
    At least on the Android phones I've owned, it is pretty slow, that's a pretty cool feature.

Funny I thought the Jolla was quite slow. I previously had Jiayu G4 which boot very fast. And that's one of those chinese quad core MediaTek equipped Android phones. It runs 4.2.1 which has a few nice tricks up its sleeve. It can automatically power-down and power-up at user-set times. It uses some kind of hibernation/restore I guess instead of really power-down and restarting every service.

Perhaps Jolla engineers should really look at the new Android stuff these days. Some of it is quite interesting.

Also since it seems that Android apps can find Jolla contacts, is there a way to use Android apps as contact managment with full R/W-access. As of now, Android apps can read contacts but not modify them nor add a contact. But I guess this is the wrong forum to ask that ;-)
    Post edited by manut at 2014-01-14 20:16:10
  • StrahlexStrahlex
    40.00 KarmaPosts: 31Crew
    manut said:

Funny I thought the Jolla was quite slow. I previously had Jiayu G4 which boot very fast. And that's one of those chinese quad core MediaTek equipped Android phones. It runs 4.2.1 which has a few nice tricks up its sleeve. It can automatically power-down and power-up at user-set times. It uses some kind of hibernation/restore I guess instead of really power-down and restarting every service.

Really? The jolla boots amazingly fast. Hibernation is not rebooting. Btw. what does the boot time matter on a phone which is 99% of the day running?
    Post edited by Strahlex at 2014-01-19 14:11:00
  • KnuXKnuX
    90.00 KarmaPosts: 81Crew
    Strahlex said:

Really? The jolla boots amazingly fast. Hibernation is not rebooting. Btw. what does the boot time matter on a phone which is 99% of the day running?

It does matter when the phone screws up at the worst possible time and has to reboot, or when you ran out of power and just found an outlet and urgently need to make a call, in those situations sitting there just waiting for the phone to load is very very painful.
    QWERTY fanboy: Nokia N900 (Maemo 5), Sony-Ericsson Xperia Pro (Android 4.0 ICS), Samsung Captivate Glide (Android 4.2 JB), Samsung Galaxy S Relay 4G (Android 4.3 JB)
    Still miss the awesomeness of the N900...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Login with Facebook Sign In with OpenID Sign In with Twitter

Poll

No poll attached to this discussion.

In this Discussion

Tagged

Support Our Community

Your Donations Will Help Keep This Forum Afloat

Spiderpodium Car Phone Holder