Syncing with PC/Mac via Rsync On Your Jolla
According to a tweet by Janne Peltonen, Sailfish has rsync pre-installed which if correct would make syncing files (photos/music/documents etc) via terminal between a PC or mac relatively straight forward.
— Janne Peltonen (@PeltonenJanne) December 20, 2013
We’re not much of an expert when it comes to rsync, but after some brief searching online, found this article which seems to be a really good resource with 15 command examples on how to sync/backup: http://www.thegeekstuff.com/2010/09/rsync-command-examples/
From the website. here are some examples of important features of rsync:
- Speed: First time, rsync replicates the whole content between the source and destination directories. Next time, rsync transfers only the changed blocks or bytes to the destination location, which makes the transfer really fast.
- Security: rsync allows encryption of data using ssh protocol during transfer.
- Less Bandwidth: rsync uses compression and decompression of data block by block at the sending and receiving end respectively. So the bandwidth used by rsync will be always less compared to other file transfer protocols.
- Privileges: No special privileges are required to install and execute rsync
For some example scenarios with command code, go and take a look at the site linked above.
This would make possible copying files either from/to your Jolla to/from your PC/mac without resorting to bluetooth or cables.
If you are a Linux/windows 7/8 user, there is already some USB connection possibilities with Jolla but for mac users currently the Jolla phone remains unrecognised via USB so this could indeed be a solution.
If this works for you, do let us know and share your experiences either here or our community port.
We’ll try and publish a tutorial once we have worked out the finer details.
Latest posts by JollaTides (see all)
- #Jolla Tablet Campaign: Last Chance To Order + Juicy Perks - December 8, 2014
- #TOHKBD: Go, Go, Funky Configurator! - November 28, 2014
- #Jolla Tablet: Campaign Adds Bulk Retailer Option And Stretch Goals! - November 27, 2014