Opt-In Now For Update 9 (Uitukka)! **UPDATED** 23/10
EDIT: I WOULD STRONGLY ADVISE ANYONE THINKING OF GOING WITH THE OPT-IN UPDATE TO THINK REALLY VERY CAREFULLY FIRST AND IF YOU DO DECIDE TO GO WITH IT, MAKE SURE YOU FIRST BACKUP ANYTHING REALLY IMPORTANT TO YOUR PC ETC.
THE REASON BEING IS THAT IT APPEARS RECOVERY MODE IS NOT POSSIBLE (IF YOU ARE RUNNING THE LATEST SAILFISH UPDATE 1.0.8.XX) SHOULD YOU HAVE ISSUES SO BE WARNED! https://jolla.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/202208763-How-do-I-use-the-Recovery-Mode-
Jolla have just released information on how to get the latest update 9 which they have been working on over the summer…. but there are some caveats so please read before opting-in.
We left for our summer break with the thought of migrating SailfishOS to Qt5.2 and bringing it to your devices during September. While we did manage to successfully upgrade to Qt5.2, it took quite long to stabilize the software stack. Now, after 13 internal release candidates, we believe that it is best to make this available to our developers and bleeding edge users instead of delaying it further.
Uitukka is an opt-in release, meaning you will not receive update notifications unless you willingly sign up to receive this OS update. Please read the following carefully before signing up, the instructions on how to sign up are available towards the end.
Why should you be careful to sign up?
- You will not be able to rollback to update8 should you wish to.
- The system’s handling of out of memory (OOM) conditions still needs some work, meaning
- The device can behave sluggishly when it is low in memory. This can cause annoyances during heavy daily use of your Jolla. A reboot makes things better, but we understand that this is not something our users want to do frequently.
- Common tasks like answering calls, opening notifications, multitasking, switching between apps etc can take tens or hundreds of milliseconds to operate in low memory conditions. For a smooth operation, the OS needs to makes sure that the memory is never critically low.
- Communication between Sailfish apps and background processes (daemons) can take longer when the system is swapping in low memory conditions. This is experienced as stutter in the UI and in extreme cases, it can freeze the UI completely.
So if you’d rather wait while Jolla iron out the final details you can. But for those brave Sailors desperately waiting to take the plunge and ready for any potential challenges, you can do so and by the looks of it, you will be rewarded by a HUGE amount of improvements in this update!
Why should you consider signing up for this update?
- This update does bring in many new features and a lot of bug fixes across the OS as indicated in the next section despite the afore mentioned performance issues in low memory conditions.
- Developers will largely benefit from upgrading to this version as it will provide a chance to test their apps against Qt5.2 and the dialog changes communicated earlier. Corresponding SDK release will be available early next week.
Therefore, if you are a developer or a user willing to forgive performance hiccups, we welcome you to sign up for this opt-in release by sending an email to
email@example.com. Make sure that the From-Address used is the one matching your Jolla account. The content of the email does not matter. After processing your email (which may take about 20 minutes), you should get an update notification and be able to install the release like any regular update.
- New overlays for Maps – satellite, car (daylight mode), transit (public transport) and night mode
- Quicker access to favorite places on Maps
- Search for media, albums and artists in Media player via ‘Search’ pulley menu item in the different views
- Finer control to enable/disable AGPS assistance for obtaining location fix via ‘Faster position lock’ option in Settings > System > Location
- Automatically save draft emails on page exit
- Accounts framework has undergone a fair amount of unification, making the account setup process more user friendly
- Fruux, Memotoo and Yahoo! now available as separate provider accounts in the ‘Add accounts’ page.
- Copy unsaved numbers from call log via context menu
- CardDAV support for Fruux and Memotoo service providers (experimental)
- Browser engine updated to Gecko 31 to improve compatibility with various web sites and improving scrolling performance
- Kazakh keyboard layout now available
- Perform general maintenance tasks such as cleaning up backup storage to free space, restarting network connectivity, android runtime etc via Sailfish Utilities app available in Jolla Store.
- Once installed, you can access it via Settings > System > Utilities
UI interaction changes
- Hierarchy indicator at the top left corner of the view replaced by a single indicator trailing off the edge of the view
- In accounts settings view, changes made are immediately saved.
- Previously, an explicit user action (pressing ‘Accept’) was required.
- App dialogs are now visually separated from normal app pages by having accept and cancel buttons from the page area to a persistent header
Fetch the update
This is a huge update given that this brings in Qt5.2. Ensure that you have enough disk space before attempting to upgrade. More information on the possible upgrade issues and workarounds is available in theknown issues section below.
- Working Jolla account configured on your device
- Charger connected
- Device connected to WLAN or mobile data network
- You have atleast 1.5GB of free disk space on your device
If you are unable to successfully configure the account, please visit account.jolla.com and try to reset your password.
Users running software version < 126.96.36.199
If your device is running software version lower than 188.8.131.52 and have WareHouse app installed (i.e you are using OpenRepos), disable all openrepo repositories before attempting to upgrade your device. Else, you risk breaking the device. Read important-steps-to-do-before-updating and how-to-disable-openrepos-repositories posts for more information.
Update the software
If your Jolla is connected to internet, an OS update notification should pop up shortly. If you just can’t wait, you can manually trigger an OS update check as follows:
- Open Settings app
- Go to System > Sailfish OS updates
- Pull down the pulley menu and select ‘Check for update’
- Once an OS update notification is received, tap on it and follow the instructions.
Do not reboot the device while the OS update installation is in progress. The process takes up to 10 minutes. During the update, the device screen might blank out. You can awaken the display by a short press on the power key to monitor the progress. When the upgrade has completed successfully, you will see the LED light up red before the device restarts.
In rare circumstances, you may have to try a second time to get through the update successfully.
View detailed instructions at Zendesk.
Highlights of improvements
- The low memory killer is now properly killing Android applications according to their set priority
- In addition to that, certain thresholds for when memory killer should kick in has been added
- Attempting to view events (via swipe-up gesture on the lock screen) while the device is locked now brings up the device lock keypad to allow unlocking the device
- Notification icon handing improved to display a separate error icon if the intended icon could not be loaded for some reason
- Checks for duplicate Twitter, Facebook and Google accounts before saving a newly configured account
- Note: Duplication detection can be done only with newly created Facebook accounts. Therefore, if you have a Facebook account already configured prior to this release, it will not be checked as possible duplicate while creating a new Facebook account
- Main accounts list now displays account description and username
- Previously, it displayed account’s provider and description
- ‘Add accounts’ page now lists generic accounts separate from named providers (like Facebook, Google, Twitter, Microsoft Exchange)
- Account setup flow now operates on single selection enabling users to setup one account at a time
- Previously, it supported multi selection of accounts with each account having a different view/option, thus making the account setup flow complex
- Easily sync Microsoft Exchange account via the context menu option on account list view or via the pulley menu item in the Exchange account settings view
- Google account setup view now indicates to the user that Mail app is required to use Gmail
- Configured Jolla account cannot be disabled anymore
- Sync options under Google and Microsoft Exchange accounts are now listed in the same order
- Disabling touch screen vibration no longer disables call vibration
- Changing developer mode password shows up lock code dialog and asks for entering the lock code
- Enabling Remote connection (SSH) in developer mode no longer requires a reboot for it to work
- Easily copy unsaved number from call log via ‘Copy’ context menu option
- Note: this option is only available for unsaved numbers
- DTMF tones are now played at 50% of the max volume. While on a voice call, it follows the voice call volume.
- Changing a call barring option now displays a more coherant message “Enter a call barring code” (was previously “Enter PIN code”)
- Disable all call barring settings in one go via the ‘Disable all’ pulley menu option
- Display close icon on keyboard enter key on empty call forwarding fields
- Emergency calls are now made to the GSM standard number 112 unless the user has dialled a different number. The GSM network will route the call as required in each country (where local emergency numbers are in use).
- The list of saved networks are now sorted by last seen. Currently connected AP is always listed at the top of the saved networks list
- While on roaming, the operator name is now displayed under mobile data settings.
- When internet sharing option is enabled, you can no longer edit it’s settings.
- Internet sharing settings now restricts network name/password in UI to 32 octets as per the IEEE standards
- Fix to WLAN disconnect issue while roaming due to RSN IE mismatch (Robust Secure NetworkInformation Element)
- Maximum transmission unit (MTU) of Internet interface for mobile data was downsized to 1280 bytes as some networks do not support big MTU’s but drop them. This change may help in cases where mobile data connection does not work reliably or at all.
- ‘Problem with connection’ error banners now display connection type icon to indicate the type of connection having issues
- Expands the background fill on the last row of the alphabetical grid to improve visuals
- Allows contact to be saved with only company name (previously mandated either first/last name or nickname)
- Improves link/unlink behaviour w.r.t remorse timers
- Keyboard now automatically hides when the list of search results is scrolled
- Phone no longer shuts down when connected to the charger while hitting the shutdown limit (0-2%)
- When the phone is off and the battery is nearly empty (0-2%), connecting the charger now displays the battery percentage in red and provides vibra feedback when the user tries to power on the device by pressing the power key
- Smoother bootup animations when the device boots up from act dead mode
- Improved address search from People app using geocoder
- Improved landscape view of received MMS
First time user experience
- Additional hints added to accounts settings, figure out where else
- Simplified startup wizard flow
- Characters ž (U+017E) and Ž (U+017D) added in the pop-up of character “z” in the Finnish keyboard layout
- With pinyin input, spacebar now accepts the first candidate only if the user has started writing a new word
- Previously, spacebar always accepted the first candidate
- Email composer view now displays bottom-up pulley menu only when the user has typed in a lot of content in the message body
- Fixes issue where sending an image via email lost the file extension of the image
- Fixes issue where thunderbird mail client on desktop did not display notes shared via email from Jolla phone
- People picker now has search field always visible
- Updates signal strength status icons
- Updates duration label to m:ss for <10 min and mm:ss for >10 min
- New detail item component available for detail and value label pair
- Allows re-opening keyboard when tapping already focused text field
- Allow count-specific localization of component picker multi-selection title
- Fixes issue where slider component handle disappears and cannot get activated again
- Unifies button and list item press effects across SailfishOS apps
- Displays attendee information in event details view
- Fixes the issue of a calendar event going to the next day when creating it after 23:00
- Adds network provider support for GPS service
- Sending a mail from android apps now passes email parameters such as subject, body etc to the native mail application
- Improves handling out of memory conditions
- Timezone in Android apps now follows the native settings
- openssl upgraded to version 1.0.1h
- Fixes CVE-2014-3100 vulnerability
Full bug list and more to read here: https://together.jolla.com/question/59874/release-notes-opt-in-upgrade-to-software-version-11038-uitukka/#59874-whats-new
Latest posts by JollaTides (see all)
- #Jolla Tablet Campaign: Last Chance To Order + Juicy Perks - December 8, 2014
- #TOHKBD: Go, Go, Funky Configurator! - November 28, 2014
- #Jolla Tablet: Campaign Adds Bulk Retailer Option And Stretch Goals! - November 27, 2014